Re: [INTERFACES] [pgaccess-users] RE: bugzilla.pgaccess.org

From: Bradley Baetz <bbaetz(at)student(dot)usyd(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] [pgaccess-users] RE: bugzilla.pgaccess.org
Date: 2002-07-11 00:08:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10 Jul 2002, Rod Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 19:44, Bradley Baetz wrote:
> > <delurk - reading from the archives, so please cc me on responses>
> >
> > Note that before bugzilla really supports postgresql, we (ie the bugzilla
> > team) are going to need DROP COLUMN support, as well as support for
> > changing a field's type. This is because thats how upgrades are done, when
> > new features change the bz schema.
>
> Agreed it would be nice, but how come upgrades cannot be done with temp
> tables -- especially since the bugzilla database is simple (no foreign
> key constraints, etc.) If you're persisting with using ENUM(), a common
> upgrade script won't work anyway.

We don't plan on persisting in using enum :)

<snip>

> You've just changed the datatype from a varchar to integer. With the
> transaction support, you're guaranteed it won't be left mid way through
> either.

Well, when bugzilla supports a db which supports foreign constraints, we'd
like to add those in, too

However, is there an easy way of obtaining the list of columns (and their
types/indexes/etc) in a table, so that we can recreate table a with just
that column missing? One which won't break when the underlying pg_* schema
changes?

The alternative is to pass the set of columns/indexes/etc into the
DropColumn function each time its called, which would get messy quite
quickly.

Bradley