Re: Turning column into row

From: "Wm(dot) G(dot) Urquhart" <wgu(at)wurquhart(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA(at)rki(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Turning column into row
Date: 2002-05-22 16:13:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Tille, Andreas wrote:

<snip/>
> I see no reason why this should not work - but I even see no real
> advantage to store a bitfield instead of just the concatenated string
> in a temporary table which is removed afterwards anyway.
>
> Thanks for the further hint
>
> Andreas.

For what it's worth the string contat option in MY opinion is a quite a
clumsy solution. The advantage of using the bitfield approach is one of
compactness, elegance and speed.

Operations on integers are inherently faster than operations on strings,
regardless of the language used. I think you should give this option some
more consideration. Having said that, you are the one developing the
application and not me.

:-)

--
Regards,