Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: AW: More UB-Tree patent information]

From: Tycho Fruru <tycho(dot)fruru(at)conostix(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: AW: More UB-Tree patent information]
Date: 2002-04-10 18:15:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> >
> > Have you found out _what_ exaclty is patented ?
> >
> > Is it just his concrete implementation of "UB-Tree" or something
> > broader, like using one multi-dimensional index instead of multiple
> > one-dimensional ones ?

(I know it is OT, please reply in private, I can summarize any reactions
to the list ...)

Patents are supposed to be only applicable to an industrial application
(with external side-effects). So ideas in themselves are not patentable.

Anyway, this is once more a good example of the danger of software patents
- you know what to reply when people say "software patents promote
innovation"

IANAL, just my 0,02 Euro.

see also : http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/savingeurope.html (also
interesting for non-europeans, of course !)

--
Tycho Fruru tycho(dot)fruru(at)conostix(dot)com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."