Re: Alternate database locations

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: Jokerman <jokerman(at)pku(dot)co(dot)id>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Alternate database locations
Date: 2002-02-19 04:19:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Jokerman wrote:

> i think you should create the database using 'initdb /opt/paislay'.
> then you can add the PGDATA2 variable on your environment.

I thought of this, too. I created a directory called
/opt/paisley/acctdata/, gave it permissions of 700, changed the owner.group
to postgres.postgres, then ran initdb specifying that directory. It worked
just fine.

Next I changed the environment variable, PGDATA2, to
/opt/paisley/acctdata/ in postgres's and my ~/.bash_profile, restarted the
postmaster and got the same error message: createdb failed because the
postmaster doesn't understand PGDATA2.

Now I'll try it again without quotes on the path.

Thanks,

Rich