Re: How estimated rows is running ?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How estimated rows is running ?
Date: 2004-04-07 20:13:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, [iso-8859-15] Hervé Piedvache wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a database with one table with about 22 millions records.
> I have a script every day wich insert about 200 000 records ...
> Sometime my script takes 4 hours to insert the data, sometime 1 hour.

Are you wrapping all your inserts into one or several large transactions?
This can make inserting data MUCH faster in postgresql.

Do you have fk/pk relationships? If so, are they of the same types?

I wouldn't worry about the vacuum / analyze numbers being a little off. A
small variance of a few percent is no biggie, it's when things are off by
factors that the planner gets confused and makes bad decisions.