Re: psql only on client (RPM)

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql only on client (RPM)
Date: 2003-07-11 14:14:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Install postgresql-libs and postgresql. I think that should be everything you
> need, if I've set it up correctly. If you had a custom app that only needed
> libpq, you could just intall postgresql-libs (such as php or perl-DBI/DBD).
> But psql itself lives in the postgresql rpm, and libpq in postgresql-libs.

Found and tried a cheap trick. FWIW, I'm running Pg in a vserver and
needed the psql in another vserver. Copying psql into the vserver worked
good enough to get my application to install.

A thought that comes to mind is client-only packages (really trimmed
down) for each platform. Not sure about the Windows systems but seems to
me and the U**X like systems would/could use this. I do use the ODBC
driver on a couple of Windows systems but I could have really benefited
from a 'psql -h example.com' option many times on systems where Pg is not
installed.

Rod