Re: Hyper-Threading

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <lista(at)profit-ti(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hyper-Threading
Date: 2003-05-08 16:19:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 8 May 2003 lista(at)profit-ti(dot)com(dot)br wrote:

> Hi People!
> As a project manager I decided to migrate the full project from Oracle
> to PostgreSQL.
>
> We bought a new Intel box to host the database, it is a dual Xeon 2.2
> and I intend to use it with a FreeBSD 4.8 wich support Intel Hyper-
> Threading.
>
> I Woul like to know if the PostgreSQL 7.3.2 will take advantage from
> Hyper-Threading?

Postgresql is not a multi-threaded app, so my guess is no, it won't. but
if the OS benefits from it then you may see a slight speed increase.

while a neat idea, hyperthreading seems to be promising far more than it
is delivering.

In testing on Windows XP with SQL server, the performance increase on a
single CPU machine with hyperthreading enabled was only about 20%. Of
course, Microsoft charges you for a whole nother CPU for that 20%
performance gain. :-)

The box Being dual CPU will make a bigger difference than being
hyperthreaded.