Re: /* */ comments showing up in pg_stat_activity

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <rmallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: /* */ comments showing up in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2003-04-26 16:37:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Rajesh Kumar Mallah wrote:
> >

> > Yes its thru psql only , i run a SQL batch using
> > psql -e -h db -f batch.sql
> >
> > In case future version of psql strips them it would
> > still be nice if libpq continue supporting it
> > i feel it would be a nice feature for keeping track of
> > queries.
>
> [ After not replying to the proper question before, I will try again. :-) ]

Thanks Bruce,

But if i were to use DBD::Perl (which probably uses libpq)
is it safe to pass query indentifier in comments which u
said are not stripped by psql eg
/* AppName: Xyzt */ Select foo from bar where cw='t' ;
for years to come ?

why i ask is that i was always curious of the slow
long running queries in pg_stat_activity and not able
to figure out the source had frustrated me , now
this method if it works seems to me as a viable solution.

regds
mallah.