Re: always forced restart after status 139?

From: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>
To: Jason Williams <jwilliams(at)wc-group(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: always forced restart after status 139?
Date: 2002-03-18 18:27:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Jason Williams wrote:

> We are using Postgres 7.1 on RedHat Linux 7.1.
>
> When calling a C function in a shared library (*.so), if you get a
> segmentation fault (status 139), the log indicates that the database will
> shut down and then restart in a few seconds.
>
> My question is, does this always have to happen? Is postgres capable of
> just logging the seg fault, but not affecting all the users on the database
> by restarting?

Because (the nature of) a SIGSEGV, you can't trust any data remaining in
memory - what if the crash was caused by corrupt data in memory?

This is why PostgreSQL completely shuts down, and re-starts back up.

Allowing any part of PostgreSQL to continue (especially since there's data
in SHM that's important) would be a bad idea, since you have no idea who
caused the SIGSEGV.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
"Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli