Re: making way for DRDA

From: Brian Bruns <camber(at)ais(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: making way for DRDA
Date: 2002-02-17 14:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Bruce,

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have just a few stylistic suggestions. First, we need context diff
> (diff -c) rather than regular diffs.

Will do.

> Second, I was wondering why you
> called it pgnet. If we are already in the backend code, seems it could
> all just be called 'net'.

I wanted to avoid something that might have a namespace clash with other
modules or OS headers so "net.h" seemed to be shakey ground. I'm flexible
on this point.

> Third, what is the value of this extra level
> of abstraction? This may already have been covered but I forgot.

I think eventually I'm going to try to make all calls via a set of
function pointers in a structure, so there shouldn't be that much
overhead. I'm still debating that as there could be some generic
processing going on and then some protocol-specific processing.

The eventual goal though is to allow pgsql to support multiple network
protocols. I'm mostly interested in DRDA (the OpenGroup standard), but I
know others want SQL*Net (on the todo list).

Cheers,

Brian