Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server

From: Brian Bruns <camber(at)ais(dot)org>
To: Haroldo Stenger <hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Threaded PosgreSQL server
Date: 2002-02-07 03:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Haroldo Stenger wrote:

> > > that mutating PG thread safe, will slow down a 7.3 release a lot,
> > > something not wanted by many here.
> >
> > Depends on how it is handled ...
>
> How do you see it not slowing down, when key developers said their view is that
> multithreading will pose a major obstacle? Are you envisioning any special
> approach not already talked about?

Excuse my butting in, but it large part we are talking about changing
things like:

if (PqSomeStaticOrGlobalVariable) { ... }

if (MyPort->PqSomeVariable) { ... }

converting to thread safety should not, at least for this kind of low
hanging fruit, have any negative performance impact. And from my vantage
point it takes out a whole lot of "where did that come from and who set it
when?" kinda questions when reading the code. Of course I'm just getting
my feet wet so feel free to correct my first impressions.

Brian