viewing/restoring old rows

From: David Wright <ichbin(at)heidegger(dot)rprc(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: viewing/restoring old rows
Date: 2001-08-15 18:07:17
Lists: pgsql-general

My understanding of pgSQL is that, when a row is updated or deleted, the
old row is marked as such, but maintained in the DB until I vaccuum.
(This certainly would ease the implementation of transactions.)
Please correct me if I am mistaken. Assuming for now this is true...

Is there some way to view the old rows or even restore one?

And doesn't this mean a timestamp must be automagically associated with
each row? How do I access these timestamps?