Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, Murray Prior Hobbs <murray(at)efone(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu
Date: 2002-01-21 16:50:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

Bruce Momjian writes:

> Interesting LAZY has better efficiency. Seems we should just keep LAZY
> as our default for future releases and tell people if they link to bad
> object files, they should expect trouble.

In practice, we load object files only if we call the function, so symbol
resolution happens either way briefly after loading. RTLD_NOW includes
some overhead because it checks symbols that we might not end up needing,
but for the typical PostgreSQL extension module, that should really not
matter.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net