Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kovacs Zoltan <kovacsz(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backend/po, make update-po works strange
Date: 2002-01-16 17:40:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kovacs Zoltan writes:

> running "make update-po" in backend/po/ I'm always getting very short .po
> files and the .pot file is also about 7K. It seems to be the fact that
> xgettext gets text only from postgres.c and postmaster.c. What's the
> problem? Version: beta3 and beta5 (I didn't try beta4 but it's certainly
> the same).

Since the postgres.pot file has nearly 400 dependency files (all backend
source files), it is currently handled in an odd way. Observe this:

peter ~/pgsql/src/backend/po$ make init-po
find ./.. -name '*.c' -print >gettext-files
xgettext --foreign-user -ctranslator -D . -n -kelog:2 -kpostmaster_error -f gettext-files
mv messages.po postgres.pot

If the "find" somehow messes up you will get an incomplete .pot file.
Also note that there are no prerequisites declared for the file
"gettext-files". That is, if it's wrong or outdated you need to remove it
first.

Suggestions for improvement welcome.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net