Re: JDBC patch for DatabaseMetaData

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: Ed Yu <ekyu(at)sc(dot)rr(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC patch for DatabaseMetaData
Date: 2002-01-10 23:57:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Barry Lind writes:

> It appears that this patch is trying to add schema support for the
> getTables method. But since postgres doesn't yet support schemas
> (perhaps in 7.3), I don't see how this is going to be possible. I
> certainly don't agree with the approach here that user = schema. That
> may be how Oracle does it, but certainly isn't how the ANSI standard
> defines schemas.

It's not how ANSI defines it, but it can be shown to be equivalent. In
particular, in Entry Level SQL92, schema names *must* be equal to the name
of the user that creates/owns it. Furthermore, you can make the
implementation-defined extension that CREATE USER automatically creates a
schema for that user in each catalog. Also, make the
implementation-defined restriction that you cannot give a name to a
database object that is already used in another schema in the same
catalog, and the restriction that you cannot explicitly qualify a name
with a schema. Note that these are all extensions or restrictions
compared to the standard, not changes to defined behaviour. Therefore, a
patch that currently considers schema==user is correct and
forward-compatible.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net