Re: locale and spanish acute

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
Cc: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: locale and spanish acute
Date: 2001-09-14 13:49:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Martín Marqués writes:

> select count(*) from tab1 where col1 LIKE '%mas%'
>
> but I would like it to catch rows with "más" also.
>
> The only thing I can think of is makeing a function that applied to col1
> would give me col1 but without accents. Say the function is called
> no_accents, so:
>
> no_accents(más)=mas
>
> Now, the problem is that I have little idea on making such a function. Is it
> very difficult?

CREATE FUNCTION no_accents(text) RETURNS text AS '
my $arg = $_[0];
$arg =~ tr/áéëíñóú/aeeinou/;
return $arg;
' LANGUAGE 'plperl';

Something similar should be possible in PL/Tcl if you prefer that. Or you
bother with C and run a simple loop over the text string.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter