Re: Referencing named attribute in where clause doesn't work with 7.1.2?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Referencing named attribute in where clause doesn't work with 7.1.2?
Date: 2001-08-08 13:42:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Andreas Joseph Krogh writes:

> Hi, this is my first post to this list so please...
> I have problems getting this query to work, any ideas?
>
> select article.title_text_key,
> (select on_text.text_value from on_text where
> on_text.text_key = title_text_key
> AND NOT title_text_key is NULL
> AND on_text.lang_id = (select code.id from code, code_group where
> code.code_group_id = code_group.id
> AND code_group.description = 'lang' AND code.code_key = 'lang.NO'
> )
> )
> as title_text_value from article where NOT title_text_value is NULL;
>
> ERROR: Attribute 'title_text_value' not found

The select list is not in scope for the where clause. Basically, the
order of processing and approximately the nesting of scopes is:

from -> where -> group -> having -> select -> order

Any names generated by an element on the right cannot be in scope in
elements on the left. (In some cases it might work as a convenience
anyway, but not in your case.)

I think you might be better off writing this query as a proper join
anyway.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter