Re: failed: make install prefix=/foo/bar

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: failed: make install prefix=/foo/bar
Date: 2001-08-06 16:00:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel Zak writes:

> $ make install prefix=/home/PG_DEVEL/X/

> cp: cannot create regular file
> /usr/lib/postgresql/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/#

I have fixed this. Note, however, that this probably won't do what you
want anyway, because the compiled-in path references will still use the
prefix you specified to configure. The only uses for "make install
prefix=elsewhere" are some rather specific circumstances where the
location specified for installation will be mapped the location used at
use time, e.g. with symlinks (e.g., using GNU Stow), or with an AFS file
system. If you simply change your mind about the installation prefix you
need to make distclean first and rebuild everything.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter