Re: Re: Data type confusion

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Data type confusion
Date: 2001-08-06 00:00:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom Lane writes:

> It is kinda bogus, given the underlying semantics of intervals
> (integer months plus float seconds).

> This is pretty grotty, and AFAIK not documented anywhere --- I found it
> out by looking at the C code for these operators. But I'm not sure
> how to do better.

One day we will have to accept the fact that months and seconds must not
be mixed, period. You can have year/month intervals or
day/hour/minute/second intervals, not a combination. An interval of '5
years 3 minutes' has no meaning with the natural calendar rules.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter