O.k. wait :) on the Postgres Book

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: O.k. wait :) on the Postgres Book
Date: 2001-03-21 23:55:10
Lists: pgsql-general

> > I guess that's what's confusing. Why does GB have to agree to let you
> > distribute software that's from the PostgreSQL Global Development Group?
>
> Definitely a very very good point ... Joshua, you are free to include
> *any* version of PgSQL with your book ... nobody needs to get permission
> from anyone to do so, never have needed, never will need ... its open
> source software ...

Hello,

I would like to note, before there is any miscommunication that GB was
only concerned with the way the name was presented. E.g;

PostgreSQL Great Bridge version 7.1

The only thing that have requested is that we be more clear about the
product by stating:

Great Bridge PostgreSQL version 7.1.

I believe they have a valid point in want to protect their name.

On the flip side, I hope that you guys find the book we are developing a
useful one.

<COMPANY>CommandPrompt - http://www.commandprompt.com </COMPANY>
<PROJECT>OpenDocs, LLC. - http://www.opendocs.org </PROJECT>
<PROJECT>LinuxPorts - http://www.linuxports.com </PROJECT>
<WEBMASTER>LDP - http://www.linuxdoc.org </WEBMASTER>
--
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.