Re: Re: RPMs for PHP accessing PostgreSQL via ODBC over RedHat

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Chris <csmith(at)squiz(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: RPMs for PHP accessing PostgreSQL via ODBC over RedHat
Date: 2001-03-05 23:00:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Chris wrote:

> >Is it really necessary to use PHP and ODBC? PHP has a native postgresql
> >interface I believe...
>
> It sounds like the postgres server is a different machine to the web
> server, so ODBC is needed to communicate between the 2..

No it isn't. Postgres should be accessible via PHP whether it's on the
same server or on a remote server (and Postgres is configured to allow
remote access). The only reason I can guess as to why ODBC is being used
is to perhaps maintain code compatibility with the use of a different
databse platform that the web server may have been using previously.

-- Brett

http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
I didn't get sophisticated -- I just got tired. But maybe that's what
sophisticated is -- being tired.
-- Rita Gain