Restore problems with 7.0.3 on Solaris/sparc

From: Ales Pecnik <ales(at)deuce(dot)sta(dot)si>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Restore problems with 7.0.3 on Solaris/sparc
Date: 2001-02-22 11:06:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello:

I'm having problems with restoring database. I'm using PostgreSQL 7.0.3 on
Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc machine.

The database contains large tables, the largest contains 1,5 million rows.
While pg_dump is quite quick, restore takes ages. Situation improves if I
split the dump file into smaller chunks, so no COPY command has more than
10000 lines of data following. Then restore is faster, it takes "only"
about 4 hours.

I also tried to restore the database on another machine (Pentium II)
with RedHat 7.0, and it took only about 5 minutes - without splitting the
file into smaller chunks.

Any ideas where the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,

Ales Pecnik