Re: floating point representation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: floating point representation
Date: 2001-02-16 16:57:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue writes:

> Is there a way to change the precision of floating
> point representation from clients ?

Not currently, but I image it couldn't be too hard to introduce a
parameter that changes the format string used by float*out to something
else.

The GNU C library now offers a %a (and %A) format that prints floating
point numbers in a semi-internal form that is meant to be portable. (I
image this was done because of C99, but I'm speculating.) It might be
useful to offer this to preserve accurate data across dumps.