Re: two cents

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: George Johnson <gjohnson(at)jdsc(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: two cents
Date: 2001-02-10 09:44:08
Lists: pgsql-general

George Johnson writes:

> Reading the 20 or so Re's to NFS issues as well as the last few months of
> list watching, as well as my own crash experience etc, what is the current
> direction/state of things regarding backup, replication etc with postgresql?
> Do you foresee pg_dump being used in the long term? It is sounding like
> people are screaming for an automated, reliable way/state for shifting data
> out of the database. Or a "hot copy" function.

Backup will probably stay pg_dump's domain indefinitely. It has a "hot
copy"/snapshot/consistent dump capability, it can be automated, and we'd
like to think that 7.1's incarnation is a lot more reliable, too.

Eventually, maybe even in the 7.2 release, WAL based backups will be
available as well.

Replication is available at www.erserver.com. A stripped
down/introductory version (so I understand) is in contrib/rserv in 7.1.