Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Michael Richards <michael(at)fastmail(dot)ca>
Cc: <alvar(dot)freude(at)merz-akademie(dot)de>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL HOWTO
Date: 2001-01-18 23:46:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Michael Richards wrote:

> As I understand Zend is a compiler/interpreter that uses a optimised
> bytecode to run a little faster than the normal apache/php. It shares
> few of the features of perl, even fewer of Java. C++? Last time I
> checked, PHP couldn't do OOP. Next thing we know it will be as
> efficient as assembler and as object oriented as SmallTalk.

Zend is the new engine that PHP4 is built on. It's supposed to be more
optimised for heavy web stuff, kinda like mod_perl or a Java servlet
engine. I've never used it, and haven't touched PHP in a year, so I can't
vouch for what it really does. PHP sorta does objects, but don't expect
Java or C++ (or even Perl) level of OO support.

-- Brett
http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.
-- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess