Re: RPMs (was Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPMs (was Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?)
Date: 2001-01-13 03:13:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen writes:

> It's pretty dramatic to get the 'You don't have permissions to install'
> message from the perl 'make install' when I am performing the build (and
> the make install) as root. Particularly when 7.0's perl 'make install'
> worked semi-properly. I say semi-properly because the packing list had
> to be rewritten -- but at least the install did its job to the proper
> build-root'ed location.

Then we apparently have a problem here. I can only say "works here", and
I verified against the MakeMaker internals that things work as designed.
What does 'gmake -f Makefile echo-installdir' show? Is it the location
you'd expect, and do you really have write access to that location?
Maybe a shell problem in GNUmakefile? I'm sitting at a RH 7.0 system and
when I wrote this code I was using 5.2, so I must suspect that you are
doing something that voids the warranty. ;-)