RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net>
To: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as MySQL ?
Date: 2000-12-11 00:48:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:

> > I think MySQL got a big start by migrating mSQL users years ago and
> > having a compatibility module for mSQL.
> >
> [Matthew] Would it make sense for postgre to have a mysql
> compatibility module? An add on package (perhaps in contrib) that would add
> many of the functions that mysql has that postgre does not. I know this
> couldn't cover everything, but it could probably make it much easier to port
> an app written against mysql to postgre. I have seen several posts on these
> lists about someone attempting to port some app to postgre, and now knowing
> how to find the postgre equivelant of some mysql function.

I think it would be wasted effort. I would rather the developers focus on
PostgreSQL, not MySQL, or Access, or whatever. We have things like DBI &
ODBC (not to mention SQL, which is fairly standard) to make data access
generic. I think trying to do this at a lower-level is a waste of time.

Just my $.02, of course.

http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
You mean you didn't *know* she was off making lots of little phone companies?