attisdropped, * expansion and tg_trigtuple

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: attisdropped, * expansion and tg_trigtuple
Date: 2003-06-19 09:43:49
Lists: pgsql-general

In light of the recent discussion on * expansion and how dropped columns impact
on record and rowtype variables in plpgsql I thought I'd see if anyone knows of
hand the answer to:

If in a trigger one does a select * from the table the trigger is on is it safe
to assume that tg_trigtuple (and so tg_newtuple) will use the same TupleDesc as
that returned from the select *, i.e. the tg_relation->rd_att TupleDesc?

As I say, just thought I'd ask before I add code to my trigger to map one to
the other via attribute name not number.

--
Nigel J. Andrews