Re: URGENT: Database keeps crashing - suspect damaged RAM

From: Ralph Graulich <maillist(at)shauny(dot)de>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wollny <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: URGENT: Database keeps crashing - suspect damaged RAM
Date: 2002-08-06 19:15:25
Lists: pgsql-general

> several partitions spread about on all the platters you can, as the kernel
> will then interleave swap access across all the drives for maximum
> performance.
[...]

Although this is rather a linux question than a postgresql's one, I want
to add that if you have several swap partitions and want to prefer using
one over another, you should set the "pri"-parameter in /etc/fstab, like

/dev/sdn1 swap pri=1 0 0
/dev/sdf4 swap pri=2 0 0
/dev/sdg4 swap pri=3 0 0
/dev/sdh4 swap pri=3 0 0
/dev/sdi4 swap pri=3 0 0

Refer to "man stab" on your system.

This can dramatically improve performance if the server _has_ to swap, but
preferably should use a otherwise idle disk, before - in extreme
situations - should use any application disk.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...