Re: some questions

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ang Tun Chek <atchek(at)eware(dot)com(dot)my>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: some questions
Date: 2002-05-15 09:59:03
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Ang Tun Chek wrote:

> hi
> i am new to postresql and i need some help for some sql command
>
> what is the sql command in postresql equal to "describe table"?
>
> what is the sql command to list all tables in the database?

Well the second of these is:

SELECT relname FROM pg_class

However, I don't think that's really what you mean. I would suggest that you
what you want to do is connect to your database with psql. Do a \? at the
prompt and take a look at the \d commands. For example \dt will list
tables. Starting psql with the -E switch will show you the queries it
generates to do things like list the tables.

Good luck,

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director