Re: user to database restriction?

From: Jon August <jon(at)internection(dot)com>
To: Chris Ruprecht <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostGreSQL Admin Group <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: user to database restriction?
Date: 2002-02-11 00:22:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

That seems like a lot of work. . . and could become easily outdated. No?

How about in pg_hba.conf? There's no way to say only user xyz can connect
to database abc?

I tried something like this in my pg_hba.conf, but now nobody can connect
to it.

local all password postgres
host all xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255 password postgres
local shopdb password mark
host shopdb xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255 password mark

I was hoping this config would permit user "postgres" to connect to any
database, but limit user "mark" to shopdb.

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this a serious security problem for
postgres installations used by many people - like in an ISP environment?

-Jon