Re: Serials.

From: Grant <grant(at)conprojan(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Serials.
Date: 2001-03-24 21:56:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

> > (1) Why is a sequence limited to 2147483647, it seems very small?
>
> Yikes! What are you counting? :-)

I have a message board. Where users can send each other messages. I doubt I
will ever get 2147483647 messages, but I want to make sure I never get an error
where the message isn't sent. I guess the best option is to create a function
that changes all the ids to the lowest values possible and then set the
sequence to the maximum value + 1.

Thanks everyone for your help.