Re: Sheduling in SQL

From: Vincent AE Scott <vince(at)codex(dot)net>
To: Paul <magamos(at)mail(dot)ru>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sheduling in SQL
Date: 2001-03-15 14:25:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Paul wrote:

> Sorry, if I used not corresponding mailing list, but I really dont
> know where to send such email.
>
> Is that possible to add one more SQL command to Postgres? The problem
> that IMHO no one RDBMS allows SQL command for sheduling. To support
> sheduling SQL programmers have to use outer tools to periodically
> check database if event commit. But IMHO it's much better to add one
> more SQL command to allow sheduling in same SQL.
>
> My thoughts about such command follow:

one option for doing this, ( in a fairly non-portable way ), is to create
a 'C' function contained in a shared library. on most unixen you can put
in _init and _fini functions such that when the library is dlopened/closed
the functions execute. simply create a thread in the _init, that sits
arround on a timer, then does some stuff. not ideal, but an option

PGP key: http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc