Re: [HACKERS] flex

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] flex
Date: 2000-01-16 20:13:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've made the necessary changes to release_prep, makefiles, and
documentation (not sure how the INSTALL file proper is made from the sgml
docs, though). lextest is removed. configure now gives a friendly warning
if it finds flex 2.5.3.

(In fact it seems like some lex files were already generated for
distribution, but now it's all of them.)

On 2000-01-15, Bruce Momjian mentioned:

> Added to TODO list.

> > > Not sure. Are they more platform-dependent or lexer-dependent? Doesn't
> > > the lexer call a lexer-specific library? Not sure.
> >
> > flex has a lexer-specific library (libfl.a), but as far as I can tell
> > our scanners don't call it. In fact our build process has no provision
> > for adding -lfl to the link, which I used to think was an oversight, but
> > now it's starting to seem like a good idea. We could ship scan.c et al
> > in the same way we handle the yacc/bison output files, and it should
> > work everywhere.

This puzzles me a bit still, but it seems to work. GNU suggests putting
yacc and lex files in distributions, so I can't imagine why they would do
that if you need to have lib[f]l.a anyway.

$ nm /usr/lib/libfl.a

libmain.o:
00000000 t gcc2_compiled.
00000000 T main