select distinct null

From: <karol(at)gmweltel(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: select distinct null
Date: 2001-01-04 13:38:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

I've got problem with such a query:

INSERT INTO table1 VALUES SELECT DISTINCT null,table2.atr1 FROM table2
WHERE table2.atr1 > 0;

It works in PostgreSQL 6.4.2 but in 7.0.3 it returns:

ERROR: Unable to identify an ordering operator '<' for type 'unknown'
Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query

I discovered that PostgreSQL 7.0.3 doesn't accept the querry:

select distinct null;

and reurns the same error.

I use such queries in some client applications and it would be hard
to rewrite them. Could anyone explain to me what has been changed in 7.0.3
and how can I solve the problem on the server side.

Thanks in advance.

Karol Wieloch