Authentication

From: Tressens Lionel <tressens(at)etud(dot)insa-tlse(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Authentication
Date: 2000-08-11 22:20:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Currently, I authenticate the users connecting to my database with a login
and a password.
But I would also like to add authentication based on identd.
I want that a user whose login is 'john' to be first identified by identd
daemon and then asked for password corresponding to 'john' in pg_passwd or
a flat password file. (i.e. I want to disable any attempt of login faking)

Another problem :
If I store a passwd for a user in a flat password file, and configure
pg_hba.conf like this :
host zzz.yyy.xxx.0 255.255.255.0 password myfile
it works...

but if I store passwords in pg_passwd, and change pg_hba.conf line to :
host zzz.yyy.xxx.0 255.255.255.0 password
or
host zzz.yyy.xxx.0 255.255.255.0 crypt

it doesn't work... why ?
How has password to be stored in pg_passwd ? clear or DES cyphered ? (I
store it DES cyphered)

Thanks in advance,

Lionel