Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

From: Scott Beasley <jscottb(at)infoave(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ansley Michael <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>, "'Don Baccus '" <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, "''PostgreSQL-development ' '" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Date: 2000-01-05 00:19:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > My guess is that in most organizations only a handful of people
> > > understand the code. The rest do support/sales/marketing.
> > >

> > Thats the way it is every place I have worked. It's known as the 2/3
> > rule. 1/3 of your coders actually know what the hell is going on, the
> > other 2/3's of them are in the dark/do not care/collect a check.
>
> Oh, I didn't know it had a name. I find it usually less than 1/3.

It's from the book, "The rise and fall of the American programer", if I
remember right (It's been several years since I read it.) I would think
it's lower too, I guess it's an average, but I still find it true for the
most part. I see open source being diffent tho. The people working on OS
projects want to code.

scott