Re: [HACKERS] sgmr* vs. md*

From: Ole Gjerde <gjerde(at)icebox(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] sgmr* vs. md*
Date: 1999-05-17 06:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I just changed the call from mdunlink to smgrunlink, but this brings up
> a good point.

Thanks, I should have noticed that myself...

> smgr is a generic i/o interface layer that allows multiple storage
> managers. Currently, we always use DEFAULT_SMGR as a parameter to smgr*
> functions, causing calls to the md* routines. Is there any value in
> just removing the smgr layer completely. It was originally for a CD
> jutebox i/o layer in addition to our current disk i/o layer.

I think that extra layer is a very good idea. Some new kind of storage
might come along that someone wants to use, and md.c wouldn't do the right
thing.

Since it's such a thin layer, performance doesn't really suffer. Doesn't
hurt to keep it...

Ole Gjerde