Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: PostgreSQL - Desparate!]

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: David Hartwig <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Edmund Mergl <E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [Fwd: PostgreSQL - Desparate!]
Date: 1998-08-03 00:46:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, David Hartwig wrote:

> This happens to us whenever the cleaning lady gets behind the server and
> kicks the plug. We put wrapper script around the postmaster to clean up
> these and any orphaned sort files. My guess is that the "rm /tmp/*" at
> boot time does not remove the hidden dot files.

I put a line in rc.sysinit to explictly remove any .s.PGSQL* files (right
after the line that deletes old PID and .X files). Haven't had a problem
starting up the postmaster since doing so. If you need to remove hidden
dot files, you need to use 'rm /tmp/.*' -- you need the leading dot.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy/
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972