Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields

From: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date: 1999-11-12 15:18:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> I don't know if there's a compression library available that
> fit's our need. First and most important it must have a
> license that permits us to include it in the distribution

IMHO bzip2 compression algorith is free and open source - README
from bzip2 source:

"bzip2-0.9.5 is distributed under a BSD-style license. For details,
see the file LICENSE"

> Bruce suggested the contrib area, but I'm not sure if that's
> the right place. If it goes into the distribution at all, I'd

Is any space (on postgresql ftp?) for this unstable code? Good project
has incoming of ftp for devel. versions...

If you this code not move to contrib, send me it (patch?), please.

Karel