Re: [SQL] Anyone recognise this error from PL/pgSQL?

From: Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org>
To: Mark Dalphin <mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Anyone recognise this error from PL/pgSQL?
Date: 1999-08-14 03:07:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Mark Dalphin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying my first PL/pgSQL code to trap foreign key errors. Before
> inserting into the table "Exon", I wish to be sure that a foreign key,
> 'zhvtID', exists in the table 'zhvt'. Sounds simple...

erm, why not use refint's check_(primary|foreign)_key() functions to
handle this ?

-- referential integrity: cascade deletes from zhvt to exon based on zhvtID
create trigger zhvt_zhvtID_trig
before delete or update on zhvt
for each row
execute procedure check_foreign_key ('1', 'cascade', 'zhvtID', 'exon',
'zhvtID' );

-- referential integrity: exon.zhvtid must exist in zhvt
create trigger exon_zhvtid_fk
before insert or update on exon
for each row
execute procedure check_primary_key( 'zhvtid', 'zhvt', 'zhvtid' );

> [SNIP]

---
Howie <caffeine(at)toodarkpark(dot)org> URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success."