LIKE query over multiple fields

From: Nathan Hand <nathanh(at)wookie(dot)chirp(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: LIKE query over multiple fields
Date: 1999-01-06 20:49:39
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm doing something like the following

select * from mytable
where field1 like '%pattern%' or field2 like '%pattern%';

I actually have 60+ fields so I found that the following was more
convenient even though it's not exactly the same.

select * from mytable
where (field1||field2) like '%pattern%';

My question is, can this be done in a cleaner way? Something that
works similarly to the first example by preference. I thought

select * from mytable
where * like '%pattern%';

Logically described what I wanted, but of course this didn't work
with postgresql (or any other xbase, as far as I can tell).

Please CC: responses to me, if that's convenient. I read the psql
mailing list via an archive which isn't always in sync.