Re: [HACKERS] Linux/Alpha and pgsql....

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Linux/Alpha and pgsql....
Date: 1998-04-11 21:41:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
> > These two patches should bring the current version of pgsql very
> > close to working cleaning on Linux/Alpha! :) As usual, if you have any
> > questions, feel free to email me.
>
> Seeing as how close we are to a v6.3.2 release, I put these in,
> but I don't like them...
>
> We've been moving *away* from using -D's in order to deal with
> operating system/hardware related issues...using tools/ccsym, are there no
> compiler defined variables you can use for this instead?

Hold on a second here.... The first patches I sent you were done
by modifying the defined(linuxalpha) to (defined(linux) &&
defined(alpha)) (the tools/ccsym method). But I was told that there was a
template for linux/alpha, and I should modify that, and so I used the
-D's. Which way do you all want it???
For what its worth, I agree, the output from tools/ccsym should be
used and not -D's.
Ok, attached are a new set of patches. First of all, ignore all
previous patches I have sent on this thread. Now these three work on the
idea that 'alpha' and 'linux' are both defined. The former is defined by
CFLAGS in template/linuxalpha, and latter is defined by the gcc on my UDB
(and all other Linux/Alpha systems). This removes the need to add any
defines to the CFLAGS line. To get rid of the other define (-Dalpha), we
simply need to replace each 'defined(alpha)' with '(defined(alpha) ||
defined(__alpha__))', as gcc automatically defines '__alpha__' like it
does 'linux'. If you want me to do this, just ask.
Ok, now are these patches ok by everyone? :) Thanks.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-6.2.1.alpha.patch.5 text/plain 415 bytes
pgsql-6.2.1.alpha.patch.4 text/plain 420 bytes
pgsql-6.2.1.alpha.patch.3 text/plain 331 bytes