Re: Performance tuning on FreeBSD

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: alan bryan <alan(dot)bryan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance tuning on FreeBSD
Date: 2008-03-04 10:22:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, alan bryan wrote:

> There seems to be something really wrong with disk performance. Here's
> the results from bonnie

So input speed is reasonable but write throughput is miserable--<10MB/s.
I'd suggest taking this to one of the FreeBSD lists; this doesn't look
like a PostgreSQL problem.

> This is on FreeBSD 7.0-Release. I tried ULE and 4BSD schedulers with
> no difference. Maybe I'll try FreeBSD 6.3 to see what that does?

The other thing you might consider is booting with a Linux live CD/DVD
(something like Ubuntu would work) and running bonnie++ from there to see
what you get. Help to sort out whether this ia a server problem or an OS
one.