Re: Performance tuning on FreeBSD

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: alan bryan <alan(dot)bryan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance tuning on FreeBSD
Date: 2008-03-04 01:11:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, alan bryan wrote:

>> pgbench -c 100 -t 1000 testdb
> tps = 558.013714 (excluding connections establishing)
>
> Just for testing, I tried turning off fsync and got:
> tps = 4061.662041 (excluding connections establishing)

This is odd. ~500 is what I expect from this test when there is no write
cache to accelerate fsync, while ~4000 is normal for your class of
hardware when you have such a cache. Since you say your 3Ware card is
setup with a cache and a BBU, that's suspicious--you should be able to get
around 4000 with fsync on. Any chance you have the card set to
write-through instead of write-back? That's the only thing that comes to
mind that would cause this.