Re: Most efficient way to hard-sort records

From: "Ben K(dot)" <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Most efficient way to hard-sort records
Date: 2006-05-07 14:16:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

> CREATE TABLE sorted (order_no SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, other columns...)
> INSERT INTO sorted (columns) SELECT * FROM main_table INNER JOIN
> key_table ON main_table.id = key_table.main_table_id WHERE key = 'param' ORDER
> BY value SELECT
> The SERIAL will automatically generate the order_no you want, which
> corresponds to the position in the sorted set.
> Then, to get the records in-order :
> SELECT * FROM sorted ORDER BY order_no

Good ... I just got myself into the habit of not recreating a table since
I have to clean up permissions and what not. I guess it depends.

Another version along that line ?

# create sequence counterseq start 1;
-- (set/reset whenever a counter is needed)

# select main_table.*, nextval('counterseq') as position2
into sorted_main_table
from main_table, keytable where main_table.id =
keytable.main_table_id
order by value;

Regards,

Ben K.