Re: Index size

From: Ioannis Theoharis <theohari(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, theohari(at)ics(dot)forth(dot)gr, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index size
Date: 2005-03-02 19:49:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > So it seems Ioannis' number was not taken immediately after a CREATE
> > INDEX operation?
>
> I would guess not, but it's up to him to say. If it is a number derived
> after some period of normal operation, then his result agrees with the
> theory that says 70% is the steady-state figure ...

yes, my number was taken after a large amount of inserts.

Your comments about the block usage in case of b-tree indexes are
absolutely interesting.
Where can i find a documentation with technical analysis for all (if
possible) of components of postgres?

All documentations that i have found are very general and refer to simple
users.