Re: pg_dump automatic

From: Antti Haapala <antti(dot)haapala(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, ML-Postrges-general <Pgsql-General(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump automatic
Date: 2003-01-27 07:06:11
Lists: pgsql-general

> >> I have a password on the database, so when the file is executed it prompt
> >> for the password.
>
> > You could try setting the PGPASSWORD environment variable in your
> > script. I believe someone told me it was getting set to go away,
> > though, so it may not help. If your OS supports it, ident over UNIX
> > domain sockets is more secure.
>
> PGPASSWORD is insecure on platforms where others can see your
> environment variables (which is quite a few Unixen, but not all).
> I am not sure we will remove it, but as of 7.3 it's definitely
> deprecated. You can put passwords in ~/.pgpass instead.

I think it could be a good idea to add an option which specifies which
file descriptor should be used for reading passwords?

Then shells could invoke programs like this:

psql -U xyz template1 --password-fd=4 < my_data 4< /the/password/file/you/want/to/use

And there would be no need to use any files for Perl/C/etc.

--
Antti Haapala