Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?

From: Stephan Doliov <statsol(at)statsol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Subject: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?
Date: 1999-02-11 21:08:12
Lists: pgsql-general

> Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
> .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
> PostgreSQL.
Amen/Bravo! This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL

Regarding the books contents. I think
I. Section 1 - Intro
1. Brief Overview History
2. Getting and Installing
3. Setting up a Database
4. Maintaining a Database
II. Section II - Making it work
1. Postgres' type system
2. Triggers & Functions
3. Embedded Scripting Languages
a) pl/pgsql
etc.
4. External access to postgres
a) libpq
b) libpq++
c) odbc
etc.
5. Interfacing PostgreSQL to the Web
a) perl
b) php3
c) pygreSQL
others
III. Reference and Tekkie Stuff
1. The built-in functions
2. Query Optimization
3. Postmaster tuning & performance issues
IV. New Features
This would be a section where people could insert information related to
the latest release. Much like law reports have addenda inserts at the
back.

my $0.02

steve doliov