[Pljava-dev] Working on 1.4 beta release

From: books at ejurka(dot)com (Kris Jurka)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] Working on 1.4 beta release
Date: 2007-11-19 11:31:50
Lists: pljava-dev

Now that the move to pgfoundry is complete we can focus on the 1.4
release. I think now's a good time to put out a beta and see if we can
get some people to test it. There's a couple of questions I have:

1) What server versions to support? I was thinking of building binary
releases for 8.1 -> 8.3 for win32, linux-i386, linux-amd64, and perhaps
solaris-i386 as those are the platforms I have access to.

2) What options should the server be built with? Since pljava picks up
these options via PGXS, the server configuration will affect the pljava
builds. Shoule --enable-debug be used? On a related note, should we try
to build the java code with -g if we find --enable-debug?

3) What should be done with the docs in CVS that go into the release? They
overlap the wiki greatly, and I have no desire to duplicate that work, but
I don't think we can drop them entirely without doing some merging work.
What's the minimal amount of information that we can put into the
releases? Should we make an architecture independent doc release or do
the docs depend on the server version built against?

Kris Jurka